Wednesday 5 May 2010

Back in the U.S....

18 days until my qualifying marathon.

*

I was supposed to do my final 20-mile run this past weekend, but a work trip to the U.S. got in the way.

I was pleased to fly to St. Louis, and through the fog of jet-lag, enjoyed my 2-day science meeting.

On the morning of the 2nd day I joined a colleague on a morning run through a park near the medical school at Washington University. It was a pleasant, conversational run, although even at 6:30 in the morning the temperatures were warm.

*

After St. Louis I spend the weekend in Cleveland, visiting my family. My sister asked whether I'd be interested in doing a 5-K race with her on Sunday morning, before my flight.

My flight was at 11:20, and the race was at 9. I therefore ran my first 5-K, through the streets of Lakewood, Ohio, in 20:25. With my race clothes still on, my mom took me to the airport where I rinsed off in the bathroom, and then checked my bag. I made my flight.

So, no 20-miler, but a race nonetheless. I want to make up this 20 miler on the upcoming weekend, but I'm also wary of not tapering sufficiently. My plan at the moment is a 20-miler on Saturday, and then 2 weeks of tapering.

No comments:

Post a Comment