Saturday 28 March 2020

Coronavirus diaries: days 3-6

A little low on wine today at my local grocery store


Day 3

The restriction to one exercise outing a day has focussed my running. I know I can only get out once, and this will be the majority of my outside time for the day, so I want to make it count. Thus, I've been trying to do about 10 miles a day. This also will help me to achieve one of my pre-coronavirus goals: running 100 miles in a week.

Day 4

Taught my first class on-line today. There were a few technical hitches - one of my videos didn't work - but overall it went well. Actually, with students asking questions on the chat function at the same time I was live-streaming, it felt interactive.

*

Late in the day, the University cancelled exams for the students. I suspect my on-line classes going forward will now only be attended by the keenest students.


Day 5

I reasoned that the grocery store would be less busy today (Friday) than on the weekend, so my son and I headed out there. There were several changes since my last visit. First, the controlled the number of people in the store by having people line up outside, spaced apart. They then only let a few people in at a time.

Waiting to enter the grocery store

Inside the store, people were keeping their distance from one another. One woman was wearing a mask. The shop was reasonably well-stocked, and my son and I picked up food for the week. The wine aisle, however, was depleted.

To check out, we again were required to get in a single-file line. This wrapped around the perimeter of the aisles. My son and I took turns waiting in line while we added our final items to the cart.

The check out line

*

My runs are starting to feel less effortful. As I do much the same loop, it is starting to become automatic, so that the time passes relatively quickly. I passed 26 people on the run.

*

The Prime Minister has the coronavirus, it has emerged.

Day 6

I want to start doing my runs in the morning, and this has been a little difficult because I've been running in the evening, and I'm thus tired the next day. To break out of this I ran this morning (after dropping my daughter off to work at the bakery). My legs were tired initially, but the sun was warming and I used the outing to try a different route. I still passed 38 people, many of whom were dog walkers nearer my town.

I've been running on quiet farm roads

No comments:

Post a Comment